iPhone 7 highlights
After months of waiting, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus was finally announced!
Apple introduced a new jet black model that has a water and dust resistant feature, a better battery life (about time) and is sans headphone jack. Yes, the headphone is really gone. Instead, Apple’s new EarPods headphones will connect through the Lightning connector port. Apple is also pushing an “connects wirelessly through auto-pairing.
Need more storage? The new iPhone delivers more storage with 32GB, 128GB and 256GB capacities. This lovely feature has been missing for quite some time and is definitely welcomed.
That camera, tho
Let’s talk about the camera. Apple kept the 12 megapixel camera and increased the aperture to a f1.8 lens; this promises to let in 50 percent more light. That will be so much better for low-light photography, which Apple emphasized in their keynote.
Finally, a new quad-LED flash will make flash brighter! Hopefully more natural tones are emphasized, so that it doesn’t blow out the scene. The iPhone 7 will still support Live Photos and it introduces RAW image support thanks to iOS 10 that’s available Sept 13.
The front-facing camera bumps up to 7-megapixel from 5 megapixels and includes auto-image stabilization, but not optical image stabilization.
Better battery, FTW
Yes, finally a better long-lasting camera. The new iPhone 7 introduced a greater battery capacity for longer battery life. Apple estimates 12 hours of LTE browsing and 14 hours when using WiFi. The iPhone 7 Plus is said to last 15 hours on WiFi and 15 on 4G.
Adiós clicky home button
The clicky physical button we all know at the bottom of the phone is still present on the iPhone 7, but it’s no longer mechanical. Instead, the iPhone will provide touch feedback with the Taptic Engine. If you have an Apple watch, it’ll send the same familiar buzzes for things like messages and calls when you set your custom notifications.
Enough to upgrade?
As with all iPhone news, people are divided—half are for and the other have are majorly skeptical. Where do you fit in?
Toluna Quicksurveys joined yesterday’s Apple event and overnight polled over 1,000 American consumers on their initial reactions to the iPhone 7.
According to the results:
- Earpods / “AirPods” (no more headphone jack) are among respondents LEAST favorite new features
- Longest battery life ever in an iPhone, Water and dust resistant and new 12MP Camera are top 3 favorite features
- 44 percent do not intend to buy an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus
I have to agree with those findings. I’m not in any rush to upgrade to the iPhone 7 Plus—I’ll wait it out a bit.
Some additional findings from the survey describes how the respondents feel towards the announcement of the iPhone 7 and its features.
- 28% are satisfied with the overall look of the iPhone 7, but unsatisfied with the new features
- 12% are unsatisfied with the overall look of the iPhone 7, but satisfied with the new features
- 20% don’t think the iPhone 7 seems much different from the iPhone 6
- 9% don’t think Apple has done enough to justify this new iPhone model
- 31% don’t have no opinion