Motherhood is a special journey, filled with moments of both great joy and times of trial. In honor of National Baby Safety Month and SIDS Awareness Month, the #LatinaGeeks team has prepared a list of safety tips and a giveaway. We want you to keep your baby safe and we have a product that can do just that!
Meeting and getting to know your baby is an extremely exciting and rewarding time. It’s also the beginning of a new relationship. Babies need a lot of sleep during the first few months of their lives so it’s important to ensure that they are sleeping as safely as possible.
Babies sleep a lot, specially during the first months of their lives, but along with the wonders of sleeping there are also dangers that all moms need to take in consideration. For that reason — and because we love babies — the #LatinaGeeks team wants to dedicate this post to Baby Safety and SIDS Awareness.
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is the sudden and unexplained death of a baby where no cause is found. While SIDS is rare, it can still happen and there are steps that us like parents, can take to help reduce the chance of this tragedy occurring.
As parents, we always struggle to understand what could cause an unexpected death in infancy, and to be honest just the thought of it gives me chills. I would do anything to keep my babies safe! Luckily, by following simple steps, we can lower the chances of it happening.
Here are the most important things you should do to keep your baby safe while she/he sleeps:
Important: (You should try to follow the advice for all sleep periods where possible, not just at night)
- Place baby to sleep on his or her back at naptime and at night time.
- Use a crib that meets current safety standards with a firm mattress that fits snugly and is covered with only a tight-fitting crib sheet.
- Remove all soft bedding and toys from your baby’s sleep area (this includes loose blankets, bumpers, pillows and positioners). The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests using a wearable blanket instead of loose blankets to keep your baby warm.
- Offer a pacifier when putting baby to sleep. If breastfeeding, introduce pacifier after one month or after breastfeeding has been established.
- Breastfeed, if possible, but when finished, put your baby back to sleep in his or her separate safe sleep area alongside your bed.
- Room share, but don’t bed share. Bed sharing can put a child at risk of suffocation.
- Never put your baby to sleep on any soft surface (adult beds, sofas, chairs, water beds, quilts, sheep skins etc.)
- Never dress your baby too warmly for sleep; keep room temperature 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Never allow anyone to smoke around your baby or take your baby into a room or car where someone has recently smoked.
There are also products in the market that can help you keep your baby protected.
One company that is truly involved in making sleep a safer activity is HALO Innovations. They are dedicated to putting the health, safety and well-being of babies first. In fact, over 1,400 hospitals use HALO® SleepSack® wearable blankets through the HALO Safer Way to Sleep Initiative. The HALO family of products, including HALOSleepSacks and SleepSack Swaddles, as well as the new SwaddeSure, help children from newborn to toddler age sleep better and safer.
Which products we love that help babies sleep safely?
The Halo® SleepSack® wearable blanket replaces loose blankets in the crib that can cover your baby’s face and interfere with breathing. In addition to sleeping safer, it helps babies sleep better, too. It’s a warm cuddly blanket they can’t kick off; ensuring baby sleeps soundly throughout the night. It is made out of 100% Cotton, it comes in a wide variety of colors and it has an inverted zipper for easy diaper changes. Oh! one ore thing, this product has been recognized as “Hip Healthy” by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
The SwaddleSure Adjustable Swaddling Pouch by HALO is the easy, safe and secure way to keep your baby sleeping safely and longer. Its simple, three-point fastening system with generous-sized wrap and adjustable fasteners ensure a secure swaddle, every time. This 100% adjustable cotton pouch also takes the place of loose blankets and is worn over your baby’s regular sleepwear, and just like he Halo SleepSack, it comes in many colors and patterns as well as includes a zipper for convenient diaper access.
This is how you should use it ;)…
Secure Swaddling Made Easy!
Aren’t these products ideal for all of us geeky #LatinaGeeks moms that want to keep our babies safe? They really are! And for that reason we want to give you the opportunity to WIN them both, a SwaddleSure and a SleepSack. This will provide safe sleep garments for the first few months of your baby’s life.
To enter our contest just share a tweet telling us what do you love the most about HALO’s products using #LatinaGeeks and tagging @. Easy as 1, 2 3 😉
If you want more information about HALO and their fabulous products, don’t forget to follow them on social media!