#LatinaGeeks partnered with Microsoft on November 28th for the “See Yourself in Cyber” webinar, featuring a powerful Latina’s career journey into Cybersecurity and important tips and lessons she has learned along the way.
Due to the rise of cybercrime, companies prioritize cybersecurity, and it is one of the most in-demand jobs today. Cybersecurity Ventures reported that there were 3.5 million unfilled cybersecurity jobs in 2021, which grew from 1 million just seven years earlier. Numerous companies have made commitments to upskill in the cybersecurity space; the time to kickstart your cybersecurity career is NOW!
Our instructor was a wonderful and experienced Latina in STEM currently working at Microsoft:
- Claudia Farrington – Microsoft US Customer Experiences and Events Lead
Claudia shared her journey about overcoming stereotypes to find your true passion. Some notable takeaways were:
- Stereotypes create an unconscious perception on a group of people.
- Build a network that has people to learn from, people who will speak for your when you are not in the room, and people who will teach you skills you need to learn.
- “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it” – The Alchemist
- Leverage your challenges as tools to propel you forward, not as limitations to hold you back.
- If your current path isn’t working for you, change it.
As Claudia end her inspiring story of how she ended up in her current role at Microsoft, she opened up the floor for an uplifting Q&A with the attendees.
Lastly, she shared additional resources for Microsoft skills and careers:
- Free courses from LinkedIn Learning | Microsoft Learn
- Microsoft Build Cloud Skills Challenge – May 2022: Free Certification Exam | Microsoft Learn
Special thanks to Claudia Farrington for the wonderful partnership and support from Microsoft!
Be sure to follow Microsoft on their social media accounts: